The Balanced Scorecard Institute, the original certifying body for balanced scorecard practitioners, created international balanced scorecard certification standards with its Professional Certification Program. The program, which includes two levels of certification: Balanced Scorecard Master Professional™ (BSMP),and Balanced Scorecard Professional™(BSP), is offered in association with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies. As a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard strategic planning and management system implementation using the Institute's Nine Steps™ methodology.
It is ideal for participants charged with building, implementing, managing, and sustaining balanced scorecard planning and management systems. Fully consistent with basic balanced scorecard concepts & terminology developed by Drs. Kaplan & Norton, it was developed by the Institute for members of balanced scorecard teams who want to learn how to build, deploy, and sustain scorecard systems, and for anyone who wants to incorporate lessons learned and best practices into the development of a strategic management system.
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Program provides participants with background and resources in all areas that are important to lead or participate on a team to build, implement, and sustain a balanced scorecard planning and management system in their organization. The program includes in-depth study of strategic thinking, strategic planning, organization assessment, strategy mapping, performance measures and target setting, strategic initiatives, automation, cascading and strategic management.
Topics covered by the course include:
- Comprehensive approaches to strategic planning, strategic management, performance measurement and target setting, initiative prioritization, performance information systems, and program evaluation
- BSI’s Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology for building and implementing balanced scorecard planning and management systems
- Organization development practices, such as SWOT analysis, employee assessment planning, customer and stakeholder identification, and balanced scorecard program planning
- Modern approaches to strategic thinking and strategy mapping
- Communications strategy development and change management aspects of the balanced scorecard journey
- Facilitation and coaching skills necessary to lead team workshops in the development of a balanced scorecard system for your organization
- How to select appropriate software to collect and report performance information throughout the organization
- How to cascade the enterprise scorecard throughout the organization
The Balanced Scorecard Institute was the original certifying body for balanced scorecard practitioners. The first program was delivered to an international group of participants in January 2006, and was conducted jointly with George Washington University College of Professional Studies on their campus in Alexandria, Virginia, USA. Since then, Balanced Scorecard Master Professional programs have been delivered four to five times a year at George Washington University and at other locations worldwide and the Balanced Scorecard Professional Program is now offered over once per month!
Through case studies and a series of interactive small-group workshops, participants will apply the balanced scorecard concepts to meet the challenges facing a typical organization.
Exercises performed throughout this course include:
- Launching a BSC program and establishing work teams
- Incorporating communications planning and change management into the scorecard development process
- Use an organizational assessment to set vision, mission, and strategy
- Understand who your customers and stakeholders are and what they need from your organization
- Develop a customer value proposition and strategy profile
- Develop an organization's strategic themes, strategic results and perspectives
- Develop and refine strategic objectives and strategy maps
- Develop and refine performance measures and targets, aligned to strategy
- Develop & prioritize new initiatives to execute strategy
- Cascade a scorecard to develop alignment by developing strategic objectives, strategy maps, performance measures, and initiatives at the Tier 2 and 3 levels
- Evaluate and improve a poorly designed system
The course will be taught by Principals and Associates of the Balanced Scorecard Institute. These instructors have specialized expertise in balanced scorecard training, facilitation and consulting in public and private-sector organizations.
Who Should Attend
This program is recommended for:
- Strategic planning professionals or balanced scorecard practitioners
- Executives, senior managers or leaders who want to improve the strategic focus and strategy execution of their organizations
- Teams or individuals tasked with developing a strategic plan for their organization
- Teams or individuals with balanced scorecard or KPI/Performance Measure development responsibility
- Executives, managers, planners and analysts who are part of a balanced scorecard development team, and are seeking the best practical ideas for improving organizational performance.
This program is made up of hands-on workshops taught by the most senior Institute facilitating consultants, and is designed to enable anyone involved with developing a balanced scorecard system to act as a coordinating change agent/internal consultant to lead and develop a scorecard system. Instructors will work closely with each participant. Participants will learn how to develop balanced scorecards and apply them in their own organizations. Software for planning and performance measurement will be demonstrated to show how information technology can be used to help develop the scorecard system, collect, report, and visualize performance information, and cascade an enterprise scorecard to business and support units, and to teams and individuals. This program appeals to leaders and managers internationally, and past participants have raved about the value they received from working side-by-side with others who come from all over the world and various organization types. This sharing of practical experience occurs through classroom discussions, through meet-and-greet receptions scheduled during the week, and in some cases through electronic correspondence long after the course has ended.
Why Get Certified?
There has never been a better time to accelerate your career in strategic planning and balanced scorecard facilitation, and earning a certification is a great way to do just that. Even if you have been working with balanced scorecards for 15 years, certifications are an excellent way to market yourself and stand out from the crowd. Earning certifications shows a potential employer (and your current one) that you are willing to go the extra mile.
Intellectual Property Note
Certification and training related to the Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any use of the Nine Steps to SuccessTM or other Institute intellectual property beyond internal facilitation use without a formal affiliate or associate agreement with the Institute is prohibited.
Continuing Education Units
All BSI Certification Program participants qualify for Continuing Education Units through BSI's alliance with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies. Attendees completing the 10-day course qualify for 8 CEUs. Those completing the 5-day course will qualify for 4 CEUs, while those taking only the Part 1 or Part 2 courses will qualify for 2 units each.
Discounts are available for all BSI Programs for Government, not-for-profit, and other public sector organizations, for organizations that register three or more participants, and for those that register early. Please follow the registration link for the respective course for the exact discount amount.
Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification can be gained via a 5-day BSP Certification Boot Camp (plus exam) or by first taking the 3-day BSP Certification Part 1 course and then later adding the 2-day BSP Certification Part 2 course (plus exam).
Balanced Scorecard Professional (BSP) Certification Boot Camp
The original Balanced Scorecard Boot Camp! This course combines the material in the
Pt. 1: Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard and the BSP Certification Pt. 2: Advanced Balanced Scorecard courses into a single, 5-day course and meets the course requirements
BSP Certification Part 1: Introduction
The Balanced Scorecard Professinal Certification Pt. 1 course introduces participants to the Nine Steps to Success™ balanced scorecard development methodology. Participants learn how to build and implement a balanced scorecard for any commercial, government or nonprofit organization with a practical step-by-step approachApply Now Price: $2,955 Download Brochure Course 301 - 3 Days
BSP Certification Part 2: Advanced Balanced Scorecard
This course covers our Nine Steps to Success™ balanced scorecard methodology, but goes much deeper than the Part 1 course, providing more tools and techniques to help managers and analysts build, deploy, and sustain a scorecard system in their organization.Apply Now Price: $1,970 Download Brochure Course 401 - 2 Days
BSMP certification can be achieved by taking the stand-alone 10-day BSMP Course (plus exam) or by first earning BSP Certification and then returning to complete the BSMP Application Course.
Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) Certification Course
This 10-day program, offered in association with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies, is a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard planning and management system implementation. It is the fastest pathwayApply Now Price: $4,925 Course 501 - 10 Days
(BSMP) Master Professional Certification Application Course
The Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) certification, offered in association with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies, is a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard planning and management system implementationApply Now Price: $4,925 Course 520 - 5 Days
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification exam, administered online, has 40 questions (multiple choice or true/false pulled randomly from a larger pool of questions). There is a one hour time limit to complete the exam and results are posted immediately. A score of 75% is needed to pass.
After completing the course requirements, participants that have not already registered for the program will be given a link to register for the exam. Once participants have registered and course completion has been verified, a link for the exam and login information will be provided. Completed exams are scored automatically and both the participant and the Institute are notified immediately. Certifications will be mailed to the registration mailing address for those that pass. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Maintaining the BSP or BSMP Designation – Recertification
Recertification is based upon earning 50 credits through continuing education, contributions to the field, and on the job experience. The Institute has established a certification committee to oversee the certification program.
BSP Certifications expire on December 31, three years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2012, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2015).
BSMP Certifications expire on December 31, five years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2010, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2015).
Annual recertification notices are sent, as a courtesy, in the first quarter of the year in which the individual is due for renewal and additional reminders are sent throughout the year. Accompanying the reminder notice, will be a link to, information regarding the recertification process and instructions to access the recertification application form and guidelines.
Why Get Recertified?
Certification is a great way to accelerate your career in strategic planning and balanced scorecard. Even if you have been working with balanced scorecards for many years, certification is an excellent way to market yourself and stand out from the crowd. Earning certifications shows a potential employer (and your current one) that you are willing to test your knowledge against best practices. Recertification demonstrates that you have continued to apply yourself in the field of strategic performance management and are attuned to new learnings, developments, tools, and techniques. In other words, you are continuing to develop as a professional in this career field.
Steps to Recertification
- All candidates must have previously completed the Balanced Scorecard Professional or Balanced Scorecard Master Professional Program (and Exam). See the BSI Certification Page for details. Certifications are valid for three years.
- Download the Recertification Application. Rename the file, replacing NAME with your name.
- Create a sample of balanced scorecard work you have completed since being certified.
- Register on the BSI Recertification Page and upload the completed application and balanced scorecard work sample at the appropriate screen. Submit the application electronically by December 31 of your recertification year.
- Remit the $295 recertification fee. The recertification fee must accompany the application and is non-refundable. An applicant will not be considered for recertification without payment. Applicants will be notified within six weeks of recertification approval.
Evaluation Criteria and Scoring
Recertification is based on credits earned while engaged in balanced scorecard related activities. Fifty certification credits are needed to be recertified. The potential and maximum credit levels are listed at the top of each category on the application.