Duration501 - 10 Days | Price:$9,850(Net of Tax)
This 10-day program, offered in association with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies, is a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard planning and management system implementation. It is the fastest pathway for participants to receive Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) certification.
The program, covering two calendar weeks, is ideal for participants charged with building, implementing, managing, and sustaining balanced scorecard planning and management systems. It was developed by the Balanced Scorecard Institute for members of internal balanced scorecard teams who want to learn how to build, deploy, and sustain scorecard systems, and for anyone who wants to incorporate lessons learned and best practices into the development of a strategic management system.Apply Now
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Program provides participants with background and resources in all areas that are important to lead or participate on a team to build, implement, and sustain a balanced scorecard planning and management system in their organization. The program includes in-depth study of strategic thinking, strategic planning, organization assessment, strategy mapping, performance measures and target setting, strategic initiatives, automation, cascading and strategic management. At the end of the program, a certification exam is administered and a Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) certification is awarded jointly by the Balanced Scorecard Institute and George Washington University.
This program is based on the Institute’s Nine Steps to SuccessTM balanced scorecard framework, and expands on other training workshops with additional process substance in each step, more advanced exercises, one-on-one interaction with senior staff, and additional resource material, software tools and templates. This program also includes a student application project, where students work on their own planning and management scorecard system during the course. Senior consulting Associate instructors review the application example after each step in the development process, and offer best-practices advice and counsel.
The program is taught in a highly interactive manner, using lectures, lessons learned, practical examples, case studies, software demonstrations, small-group exercises, a Performance Scorecard Toolkit, software tools and templates, and instructor reviews of participants' existing scorecards. Topics covered by the course include:
- Comprehensive approaches to strategic planning, strategic management, performance measurement and target setting, initiative prioritization, performance information systems, and program evaluation
- The Institute’s Nine Step methodology for building and implementing balanced scorecard planning and management systems
- Organization development practices, such as SWOT analysis, employee assessment planning, customer and stakeholder identification, and BSC program planning
- Modern approaches to Strategic thinking and Strategy mapping
- Communications strategy development and change management aspects of the balanced scorecard journey
- Facilitation and coaching skills necessary to lead team workshops in the development of a balanced scorecard system for your organization
- How to select appropriate BSC software to collect and report performance information throughout the organization
- How to cascade the enterprise scorecard throughout the organization
Who Should Attend?
This course is recommended for executives, managers, planners and analysts who are seeking the best practical ideas in improving organizational performance.
Intellectual Property Note
Certification and training related to the Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any use of the Nine Steps to SuccessTM or other Institute intellectual property beyond internal facilitation use without a formal affiliate or associate agreement with the Institute is prohibited.
This is a hands-on workshop taught by the most senior Institute facilitating consultants, and is designed to enable anyone involved with developing a balanced scorecard system to act as a coordinating change agent/internal consultant to lead and develop a scorecard system. Instructors will work closely with each participant. Participants will learn how to develop balanced scorecards and apply them in their own organizations. Software for planning and performance measurement will be demonstrated to show how information technology can be used to help develop the scorecard system, collect, report, and visualize performance information, and cascade an enterprise scorecard to business and support units, and to teams and individuals. Past participants also have raved about the value they received from working side-by-side with other participants, who come from all over the world and various organization types. This sharing of practical experience occurs through classroom discussions, through meet-and-greet receptions scheduled during the week, and in some cases through electronic correspondence long after the course has ended. Tuition covers all course materials, as well as continental breakfasts, lunches and refreshments during residency session.
Continuing Education Units
Attendees completing this course will qualify for 7 CEUs through the Institute's alliance with the University of South Carolina.
For each step of the course, we will use case studies and exercises in small groups to allow each participant to practice facilitation techniques and receive feedback from the instructor. You will work with your colleagues from a wide variety of organizations with different perspectives. You come to the program with an application example from your organization or from a personal interest area, and you build your scorecard during the class, with expert instructor feedback at each step of the process.
- A 400-page workbook and a collection of current lessons learned and best practices on the many aspects of scorecard systems
- Performance Toolkit® with worksheets for each step of the methodology
- Reference material, including a Change Management book
- Readiness Assessment and Lessons Learned tips
- Sample organization assessment survey with questions
- Sample Strategy Maps on large-format charts
- Packet of Case Studies and Exercises
- Advanced consultant toolkit material, including templates, detailed guidelines for consulting and facilitation, sample schedules for building a scorecard system, definitions, and a summary of each step in the process
The course will be taught by Senior Associates of the Balanced Scorecard Institute. All program instructors have specialized expertise in balanced scorecard training, facilitation and consulting in public, nonprofit, and private-sector organizations.
Public Sector Discount
For two-day and three-day workshops, there is a $150 discount for participants from public sector and not-for-profit organizations (use discount code NP). Government organizations qualifying for GSA pricing use the discount code GSA.
There is also a $100 discount for three or more participants from the same organization. We encourage more people from the same organization to attend so that they can collaborate during the workshop.
Part I: Introduction to the Course
Part II: Balanced Scorecard Overview
Part III: Building the Balanced Scorecard System
- Module 1 – Step One: Assessment (Change Management Plan, BSC Program Plan, Organization Climate Scan, Customers & Stakeholders)
- Module 2 – Step Two: Strategy (Customer Value Proposition, Strategic Themes & Results, Perspectives)
- Module 3 – Step Three: Strategic Objectives
- Module 4 – Step Four: Strategy Mapping
- Module 5 – Step Five: Performance Measures & Targets
- Module 6 – Step Six: Strategic Initiatives
- Scorecard Rollout
Part IV: Implementing the Balanced Scorecard System
- Module 7 – Step Seven: Automation
- Module 8 – Step Eight: Cascading
- Module 9 – Step Nine: Evaluation
Part V: Sustaining the Scorecard Planning and Management System
Part VI: Resources
Part VII: Case Study
Student Application Presentations & Review