This course covers our Nine Steps to SuccessTM balanced scorecard methodology, but goes much deeper than the Part 1 course, providing more tools and techniques to help managers and analysts build, deploy, and sustain a scorecard system in their organization. The Balanced Scorecard Professional (BSP) Certification Pt. 1: Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard is required before taking this course, as this course builds on that introductory knowledge by focusing on common scorecard development difficulties and nuances found in real world organizations that have implemented the Nine Step framework.
This course provides a quick review of basic scorecard building steps, adds advanced building techniques, and goes in depth with cascading a scorecard system throughout an organization and evaluating the impact of the scorecard system and making corrections. The course includes additional focus on change management and strategic facilitation of teams. In addition to the two days of class, participants are given free access to the Balanced Scorecard Professional (BSP) Certification exam.Download Brochure
As Part 2 of the Building and Implementing a Balanced Scorecard series, this workshop adds depth to the Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard course. It builds on the Introductory content by focusing on common scorecard development difficulties and nuances found in real world organizations that have implemented the Nine Step framework.
It delves deeper into the subjects our trainees have been asking for: strategic thinking, practical examples, details on cascading, budgeting, change management, facilitation evaluation and other advanced topics. This course is taught by our most senior staff. Topics covered by the course include:
- How to think strategically and avoid getting bogged down in tactical details
- How to design and implement a scorecard where other frameworks have already been introduce
- How to revise poorly designed scorecard elements, based on numerous examples
- Small group simulations to understand decision choices
- Balanced scorecard "best practices"
- Advanced concepts in performance measurement
- How to cascade the enterprise scorecard throughout the organization
- Overcoming obstacles and real world challenges
- The evaluation of planning documents and processes
If you have previously taken the Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard course, you can take this course and "upgrade" to professional certification!
The Institute’s BSP Pt. 1: Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard course is a prerequisite for this course, as it covers the basic Nine Step methodology for building and implementing a balanced scorecard and is the fundamental starting point for anyone interested in scorecard development, even for students that have advanced knowledge and experience implementing scorecards based on their own research or by working with other methodologies.
This Pt. 2: Advanced course builds on that knowledge by focusing on common scorecard development difficulties and nuances found in real world organizations that have implemented the Nine Step framework.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for people in private, public or nonprofit-sector organizations who have responsibility for building, implementing and maintaining scorecard and other performance management systems. Typical attendees include those with responsibilities for implementing and/or maintaining the management system; developing appropriate performance measures; selecting software tools; cascading the scorecard to lower tiers in the organization; evaluating or reporting strategic and operational performance data; and/or improving resource allocation decision making.
Intellectual Property Note
Certification and training related to the Nine Steps to SuccessTM methodology is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any use of the Nine Steps to SuccessTM or other Institute intellectual property beyond internal facilitation use without a formal affiliate or associate agreement with the Institute is prohibited.
The course will be taught as a hands-on workshop using interactive lectures, practical examples, case studies, shared participant experiences, and practice sessions. The learning goals of the course are to: review best practices in building and implementing a balanced scorecard strategic management system, cascade the system to encompass all organizational tiers and operations, employ change management to sustain the system, and practice facilitation and coaching skills that will be useful in your organization.
Continuing Education Units
Attendees completing this course will qualify for 2.1 CEUs through our alliance with the University of South Carolina.
Hands On Training
In small group workshops, you will practice planning and facilitation skills to apply in your own organization. You will receive feedback from the instructor and your fellow trainees from different organizations, conducted in a safe and relaxed environment in which "there are no wrong answers".
Participants will receive a copy of our BSC Resources CD and an Advanced Balanced Scorecard Toolkit, which includes sample forms and templates to support each step of the planning and implementing process, plus evaluation forms, exercises and related material.
The course will be taught by the Principals and Associates of the Balanced Scorecard Institute. These instructors have specialized expertise in balanced scorecard training, facilitation and consulting in public and private-sector organizations.
Feedback from past participants:
“…the BSC program was one of the best professional development experiences I’ve ever had."
“I loved the case study exercises!”
"Very useful charts and checklists to evaluate the process of developing performance measures."
“…the case study was very supportive of understanding the process of developing and mapping strategy."
"...the methodologies in this presentation are a powerful medium for achievement of the right strategic objectives."
"...good information on what we need to do at our respective workplaces to effectively cascade the balanced scorecard."
There is also a $100 discount for three or more participants from the same organization. We encourage more people from the same organization to attend so that they can collaborate during the workshop.
Early Bird Special:
$100 additional discount per participant for signing up 30 days before the start of the course.
- Course overview & logistics
- Learning objectives
Module 1: Evaluation to Assessment
- Best practices and terminology review related to Steps Nine and One of the Nine Steps to Success
- Common Evaluation & Assessment challenges
- Small group facilitation primer
- Case Study Exercise: use various small group facilitation techniques to identify case study scorecard development issues and problems
Module 2: Advanced Strategic Foundations Development
- Short review of Steps One, Assessment, and Two, Strategy, of the Nine Steps to Success
- Analyzing, identifying and correcting poor strategic foundation design
- Migrating from other planning models to the balanced scorecard
- Various pitfalls associated with poorly designed strategic themes and perspectives
- Case Study Exercise: Revise poorly designed strategic foundation elements
Module 3: Advanced Objective & Strategy Map Development
- Strategic Objective & Strategy Map Best Practices
- How to facilitate the correction of poorly designed objectives and strategy maps
- Case Study Exercise: Revise poor strategic objective and strategy map design & development facilitation
Module 4: Advanced Performance Management – Measure What Matters
- How to use several frameworks, such as the Logic Model, the Decision Model and the Critical Question model, to develop a family of potential measurements for each objective
- Identification and correction of problems associated with poorly selected measurements
- Exercise: Practice using the logic model to develop meaningful measurements for various objectives
Module 5: Measurement Definition, Implementation & Visualization
- Advanced measurement definition: ratios, frequency & accuracy requirements
- How to develop “roll up” measurements and indexes
- How to set targets & normalize data
- How to improve data visualization
- Case Study Exercise: Identification and correction of poor measurement definition & visualization
Module 6: Strategic Initiative Prioritization & Management
- Advanced strategic initiative prioritization techniques
- Project management primer
- Case study exercise: practice using a common initiative prioritization technique
Module 7: Advanced Scorecard Alignment & Cascading
- How to build organizational alignment through advanced cascading techniques
- Advanced Tier 2 scorecard development
- How to build a pilot program at the Tier 2 level without a Tier One level scorecard
- How to develop a Tier Three scorecard and align with an appraisal system
- Case Study Exercises: Refine Tier 2 scorecards and develop Tier 3 scorecards
Module 8: Managing & Sustaining a Balanced Scorecard
- Day-to-day management with a Balanced Scorecard
- Performance-based budgeting
- Sustaining a Scorecard
- Strategy Management Office (SMO) roles & responsibilities
Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Part 2: Advanced Balanced Scorecard Register